This is a guest article by Shruti Sethi.. was pending since some time and yesterday Baba talked of some Yam-Niyam (spiritual disciplines) and i thought probably it should published.. namah shivaya..
This article is specially written for those sadhaks who have received the divine grace from Babaji and not meditating/ not meditating regularly because TIME NAHI MILTA.
Babaji in one of his discourses said that there are three categories of sadhaks:
- Category 1 - Who come attend the shivir go back home and don’t practice. They ll get some benefit as a lot of karmas are shed in the shivir.
- Category 2 – Who attend shivir and observe the principles and meditate. They meditate for themselves. They perform well and grow both spiritually and materialistically.
- Category 3 – Who attend shivir. Meditate for themselves and for their family members and others. They are the best category. One might think why should I meditate on behalf of my family members? How will I benefit. Basic rule is “What you give to others, comes back to you” or put it differently “what you sow is what you reap”. He also gave an example of a lady who was a homemaker. She used to do her meditation and used to pray on behalf of rest of the family members. The family as a whole was doing amazing well in all aspects of life.
Which category are we? Category 1, please continue reading. Others too, if they wish can carry on...
Now let’s do some self analysis. How do we spend time in an ordinary day?
Ask yourself how much time you spend on following activities:
- Lazing around – Wake up in the morning after snoozing many times. Then pushing yourself from bed and again laziness strikes. Good reason to have TEA. There comes the newspaper or a magazine in your hand to read. What do you feed in your mind by reading that? Watch what is that you read? The politics, horoscope, the murders, the rape cases, or some scandals? Now lets think - is knowing each and every detail of the above stated thinks going to help you? Well, you might sound really aware in group discussions. Putting all these things in your mind puts a lot of negative thoughts which means negative karma. The rule says discussing and thinking about such things adds to the negativity in the collective consciousness. What is one putting in to the mind during the time one is supposed to meditate. After doing all this one realizes no time left for the exercise and sadhana. Get ready to carry on your routine activities with that garbage in your mind. (I’m not being against reading news papers, but there are positive things too. One needs to check what things which are being continuously read and fed into the consciousness.) Secondly, things need to be done at the right time. Morning time Babaji says is the time for Dev Karma.
- Phone calls and other conversations – Analyse what kind conversations you are having. Personal experience when I hear people talking it’s more of the routine stuff. (I admit I too have done it many times in past, and at times still fall for it), gossiping, discussing past events again and again with multiple people and in the process again creating them, talking about some X person whom you are least concerned with, talking about the weather, talking what one had in lunch or dinner, etc, etc.. Osho said 95% of your conversations are not required. Talking too much is the cause of many misunderstandings and also consumes a lot of energy. As Babaji says, whenever you find little time try to connect. He gave example like if you are waiting for a bus or train, or in a coffee shop waiting for your date. He said call me and ask me to connect you to Lord. What generally happens? The moment one gets time – a phone call J
Facebook/ orkut/ other social networking sites - How much time do you spend on viewing some friend’s friend’s pics? How much time do you spend in reading any X,Y, Z’s status or profile? (just by thinking about other person and getting really engrossed in other creates karmic connections) How much time do you spend in using the so called interesting applications on these sites? Is it really necessary? Aren’t we ignoring your loved ones at home for this unreal world? Aren’t we ignoring our meditation because of all this? Isn’t the cost too high?? Can this time be really cut short so that only the positive impacts of these sites remain?
- Television and movies - What do you watch - movies, daily soaps, reality shows, news channels, spiritual channels? TV is an entertainment for most of us. Whatever we watch has a very deep impact on our minds. Have seen this practice very common - if one is feeling low or depressed watch a movie or something on TV. What does this do? I heard BK Shivani (Of Bramhakumaris) explaining this. Lets say a person is having a problem, that person is having a lot of negative thoughts and is willing to get rid off them. That person randomly starts watching TV or a movie. What happens is that instead generating your own thoughts you lend the thoughts which are being displayed on TV for the time you are watching. Once the show is over and TV is off, your own thoughts come back. Its really important to monitor what kind of programs are you watching, as they have a very deep impact on the subconscious mind. Babaji says that whenever you are low or some negative incidence has happened in your life, don’t waste your time in thinking about it and talking about it as this will add to the already negative situation. Simply invoke Sanjivani shakti, connect and heal the incidence. That is the only way issues can be resolved at the root. “Jab koi baat bigad jaye, jab koi mushkil aa jaye, tum lena Shiv ka naam, Namah Shivay. Namah Shivay, Namah Shivay , Namah Shivay, Namah Shivay, Om Namah Shivay, Namah shivay J”
In Delhi Shivir 2011, Babaji said that the outer technology has developed at a very high pace. Whatever inventions are happening outside comes from inner technology. But in this world we are so engrossed in outer technology and the focus to develop the inner technology is not there. The proportion of development of outer technology is higher than the development of inner technology. This is the reason why we are becoming slaves of technology, whereas we should be the masters. So what should we do? We need to awaken ourselves. This is can happen by meditation.
Disclaimer: Babaji says that you will listen according to your own perception and level of consciousness. Therefore, in writing this article my understanding and perceptions do come into play. Namah Shivay!!!